Job: Science Presenter for National
Laser Show Science Assembly Tour
National Travel, Based in Philadelphia, PA and Oradell, NJ
We want YOU for Science/Engineering Education Outreach. Travel the country presenting exciting school assemblies where audiences truly LEARN. Explore how the science of light, lasers, and human vision come together to make laser shows possible. Play with persistence of vision. Fog a gymnasium and see how light travels. Excite hundreds of students about energy! (see what we did there?) Oh, and one more thing – the phone in your pocket uses the same principles. Explore the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) concepts that enable the technology we use every day.
Based in Philadelphia, Wondergy uses science to educate, change attitudes, and affect behavior. The Wondergy team brings knowledge, experience, and personal excitement about science to create exciting, inviting interactions that empower people to learn about the phenomena that matter to them. Through promoting learning, we build a stronger workforce, smarter consumers, and more informed stewardship of our world.
For academic year 2016-17, we are proud to re-launch LaserShow Science nationally. This is a full time job, requiring a lot of car travel. We provide all of the equipment for travel and demonstration, plus training and general support.
- Present 7-11 45-minute assembly programs each week for 100-500 students per show
- Guide inquiry-driven science exploration; encourage questioning and discovery
- Share your excitement about science and engineering with diverse communities
- Pack, setup, re-pack science demo and sound equipment
- Communicate with schools to coordinate arrival and setup
- Drive from school to school – this tour will involve substantial solo driving around the country
- National Tour begins Late September and ends Late May or Early June
- Occasional training and occasional shows starting spring 2016 – scheduled by your availability and ours
- Full time tour – Fall in the eastern US, Spring in the west, with substantial time on the west coast.
- Breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year’s. Some flexibility in tour schedule and breaks are possible.
- Email lesson plans and science information to each school you visit
- No sales duties. You’ll be sent a schedule each week.
- Possible local and international travel when not on national tour –
Qualifications of an Ideal Candidate
- Science or Engineering background strongly preferred
- Some computer programming experience preferred
- Comfortable with electronics, computers, and technology
- Charismatic and passionate, with strong communication skills.
- Creative and able to improvise; you should welcome audience questions, ideas, and jokes!
- Comfortable in front of large audiences – performance, teaching, or public speaking experience preferred
- Able to articulate complex concepts in a simple yet accurate manner
- Comfortable with basic physical science concepts relating to electricity, circuits, and magnetism
- Clean, valid drivers’ license and background check
- Able to lift and carry over 50lbs
How to Apply
Email us your resume and cover letter, and a short video telling us why you’d be awesome for this (links are fine). We will have a phone interview, which may be followed by an in-person “audition”.