Job: Charismatic Science Educator / Presenter
Local or National Travel, Based in Philadelphia, PA and Oradell, NJ
We want you for Science Education Outreach. Blow stuff up, freeze stuff, play with lasers and high voltage, and generally convince people that the world is a great toy. Present exciting interactive shows where audiences truly learn.
About the Company
Based in University City, Philadelphia (with a second growing office in the NYC metro area of Northern NJ), Wondergy develops and presents educational and entertaining science programs that get kids and adults excited about learning and the workings of the world around them. Come help us change someone’s worldview – and in turn the whole world!
Most of our shows and events are in the Mid-Atlantic US, centered in Philadelphia. You could work with us from the Philly Area, the New York metro area, or another area we’re in often. We’re also sending three team members on a cross-country tour this year. For more information about this, please see our other job postings for Robotics, Skateboarding, and Lasers. We’re also working on a few upcoming far-off trips, including cruise programming and a series of shows on the other side of the globe. Local travel is required. Extended travel is optional.
- Present interactive, educational shows at schools, special events, parties, camps, and larger community venues
- Guide inquiry-driven science exploration; encourage questioning and discovery
- Share your excitement about science and engineering with diverse communities
- Play with liquid nitrogen, lasers, robots, pyrotechnics, and more!
- Pack, drive to events, setup, re-pack science demo and sound equipment
- Communicate with schools to coordinate arrival and setup for your shows
- Help build and maintain props and teaching tools
- Help develop new science programs and activities
- Represent us to the public
Qualifications of an Ideal Candidate
- Graduate, undergraduate, or graduated science or engineering major strongly preferred
- Comfortable with electronics, computers, and technology
- Charismatic and passionate, with strong communication skills.
- Creative and able to improvise; you should welcome audience questions, ideas, and jokes!
- Comfortable in front of large audiences – performance, teaching, or public speaking experience preferred
- Able to articulate complex concepts in a simple yet accurate manner
- Comfortable with basic physical science concepts relating to electricity, circuits, and magnetism
- Clean, valid drivers’ license and background check
- Able to lift and carry over 50lbs
How to Apply
Email us your resume and cover letter, and a short video telling us why you’d be awesome for this (links are fine). We will have a phone interview, which may be followed by an in-person “audition”. Please indicate your availability for interviews in Philadelphia or northern NJ.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org only, and be sure to include your phone number; no inquiry calls, please.