Job: Skateboarder for National
Physics of Skateboarding Assembly Tour
National Travel, Based in Philadelphia, PA and Oradell, NJ
We want YOU for Science/Engineering Education Outreach. Travel the country presenting exciting school assemblies where audiences truly LEARN. Crash into the physics of safety by lying across a bed of nails. Find the physics of balance by levitating students. Make pigs fly to explore how big-air tricks and jumps work. Bring the science of the Ollie to life!
About the Company
Based in Philadelphia, Wondergy uses science to educate, change attitudes, and affect behavior. The Wondergy team brings knowledge, experience, and personal excitement about science to create exciting, inviting interactions that empower people to learn about the phenomena that matter to them. Through promoting learning, we build a stronger workforce, smarter consumers, and more informed stewardship of our world.
For academic year 2017-18, we are proud to re-launch Sk8Sci: The Physics of Skateboarding nationally. This is a full time job, requiring a lot of car travel. We provide all of the equipment for travel and demonstration, plus training and general support.
- Present Skateboard Tricks with Consistent Accuracy
- Perform some Freestyle/Flatland, some Street skating with Obstacles (Wedge Ramps, Rail, Fun Box, and small launch ramps). Sorry, quarter and half pipes won’t fit in the vehicle.
- Share your excitement about how things work, athletics, physics, staying healthy, your journey
- Share your excitement about science and skateboarding with diverse communities
- Present 7-11 45-minute assembly programs each week for 100-500 students per show
- Communicate with schools to coordinate arrival and setup
- Drive from school to school – this tour will involve substantial driving around the country
- Help unpack, setup, re-pack folding ramps and physics demo equipment.
- National Tour begins Late September and ends Late May or Early June
- Occasional training and occasional shows starting spring 2016 – scheduled by your availability and ours
- Full time tour – Fall in the eastern US, Spring in the west, with substantial time on the west coast.
- Breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year’s. Some flexibility in tour schedule and breaks are possible.
- Email lesson plans and science information to each school you visit
- No sales duties. You’ll be sent a schedule each week.
- Possible local and international travel when not on national tour
Qualifications of an Ideal Candidate
- Able to land tricks consistently, safely
- Able to Ollie reasonably high and far off a kicker.
- Able to perform basic flip tricks consistently, esp. kickflips or heelflips, 360 shuvits, treflips.
- Able to perform some stationary Flatland tricks highlighting balance (e.g. truckstand, primo, handstand)
- Able to perform basic grinds and boardslides consistently
- Able to perform hippie jumps and power slides
- Comfortable with basic physical science concepts
- Comfortable in front of large audiences – performance or public speaking experience a big plus
- Charismatic and passionate, with strong communication skills
- Clean, valid drivers’ license and background check
- Able to lift and carry over 50lbs
How to Apply
Email us your resume and cover letter, and a short video telling us why you’d be awesome for this (links are fine). We will have a phone interview, which may be followed by an in-person “audition”.